How Do You Use Essential Oils?
You don’t need a degree in chemistry or extensive training to know how to use essential oils effectively. With a basic understanding of safety precautions and application methods, it is easy to start using essential oils.
Get Started With Essential Oils
As you get started with essential oils keep these things in mind:
Determine the uses and benefits of the oil you intend to apply.
Follow any label and packaging instructions.
If you have specific concerns, consult with a healthcare professional first.
How to Apply Essential Oils
There are three ways to use essential oils:
1. Through smell. We call this “aromatic” use of essential oils. This includes any application method that helps you experience the aroma of the oil. You can use essential oils aromatically by:
- Diffusing in an essential oil diffuser
- Applying a drop to your hands and inhaling
- Wearing as a personal fragrance
2. On your skin. “Topical” application of essential oils allows the oil to absorb into the skin. Some ways to use essential oils on your skin are:
- Apply to targeted areas and rub in
- Add to lotions or moisturizers
3. Ingesting, or “internal” use of essential oils allows the oil to be transported throughout your body. Make sure the essential oil is safe for internal use first, and then try one of these methods:
- Add to a glass of water
- Take in a veggie capsule
- Put a drop under your tongue